ABB Distribution Solutions is a technology leader in electric power distribution. We improve electric power quality and reliability while strengthening grid resilience through automation. With ABB Ability™ enabled digital products and solutions our customers can unlock the full potential of their electrical systems.
ABB BESS are an important asset to support the environmental sustainability strategies of our customers. Incorporating ABB BESS technologies can balance the need to reduce carbon emissions, while ensuring power continuity, in a world where renewable generation is becoming the largest source of global electricity.
Through participation in various compensation programs from grid operators, as well as enabling the smart integration of renewable power generation sources, ABB BESS can drive customers toward more sustainable operations and improve financial results.
We are looking for a startup challenger with a passion for innovation, collaboration, and inventiveness to develop a control logic software architecture that can maximize revenue streams and optimize total cost of ownership of customers operation sites by means of an ABB BESS.
This innovative control logic tool will:
- Dynamically select the most profitable ancillary services set up, choosing between various applications including, but not limited to, frequency regulation, energy arbitrage, and peak shaving.
- Optimize energy tariffs and consumption with renewable power generation, battery usable capacity and load varying demand.
- Automatically adjust its functionality, upon varying working conditions of the site of operation and historical data Enable and compute other input sources such as, but not limited to, weather forecasts, battery modeling, and power demand patterns.
If this sounds like you, this is your chance to win a collaboration project with ABB and reach our customers in more than 100 countries! Join us in innovating safe, smart and sustainable electrification!
Develop a control logic to be integrated into ABB battery energy storage systems that identifies the most profitable ancillary services set up to enable new revenue streams and optimise total cost of ownership.
Revenue streams can vary depending on locations, type of industry, and from country to country, and their attractiveness can change during specific time of use. For instance, ancillary services depend on various aspects such as site of operation, utility grid operators, remuneration program schemes, energy tariffs, renewable power generation flows, load power consumption, and battery ageing degradation.
Some of these factors change over time, and it is very complex to predict future variations adapting BESS working conditions accordingly. Machine learning and artificial intelligence play a significant role to bring relevant benefits to a specific business case. Leveraging on factors such as, but not limited to, energy market, historical data from site operation, data entry management from sources like weather forecasts, battery modeling, and power demand, they can provide a significant value in managing this challenge.
Key technologies and applications addressed in the challenge
- Battery energy storage systems (BESS)
- BESS energy management control systems (digital)
- Grid ancillary services and other BESS applications
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques
Further product technical details may be available in case of need.
Additional information and links
- Visit solutions.abb/eStorage for more about our broad energy storage solutions portfolioclick here.
- For further details on ABB’ secure Energy Management System for Battery Energy Storage ‘click here’.
The Startup Challenge Awards
- The winner of the challenge will be able to show and share the solution in a pilot or customer testcase.
- The winner will have the opportunity to access lab environments we jointly use with customers, allowing ABB customers to actively experience the solution and share their feedback.
- $30,000 for a collaboration with ABB Electrification to develop the solution.
- 6-month free SynerLeap membership, ABB’s startup accelerator, which will boost your growth and visibility across ABB, our partners, and customers (value $10,000).
- Exclusive mentoring sessions with Microsoft startup advisors.
Ready to shape future user experience together?
We invite you to Download the ABB application Powerpoint template for ABB Electrification’s Distribution Solutions Startup Challenge 2023!
Apply today or latest by February 21 – we evaluate the applications continuously
If you have any questions about your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org