Global cybercrime costs from theft of intellectual property, disrupted operations and damage to physical assets are expected to grow by 15 percent annually over the next five years.
For electrical substations, which include critical electronic devices, cyber security is a significant threat
- Attacks can be deliberate but also non-intentional
- People and systems can generate them
- Entry points can be the equipment user interface, the configuration tool, and the communication bus to higher level systems
- We have a need today to support our customers to identify and manage the increasing cyber risks on their electrical equipment and wider operations
Cyber Security Assessor – smart, user-friendly decision-making tool to prevent cyber issues
Recent or new electrical equipment is certified from a cyber security standpoint, however:
- their combination into a system can result in an unsecured set-up
- the custom engineering can add specific additional risks
- their integration with outdated devices can also make them vulnerable.
The purpose of the Cyber Security Assessor is to offer customers an assessment tool that identifies critical risks in electrical substations and provides clear, corrective actions in easy-to-understand language.
What we are looking for is a framework for cyber security assessment in electrical substations that:
- makes cyber security information more accessible and clearer to understand and manage for engineers and operators, so they can implement corrective actions against cyber risks more easily
- guides customers on the potential cyber security risks of their electrical equipment.
Startup challengers have the freedom to suggest the most suitable technology platform for building the Cyber Security Assessor, based on what we are trying to achieve and in line with relevant standards and trends.
To help with developing the tool, ABB will provide:
- datasheets and user manuals of electronic equipment used in electrical substations (such as relays, metering devices, gateways, data concentrators)
- ABB cyber security deployment guidelines as available for external use
What outcomes we want for customers
- Customer profiling with respect to their risk attitude and preparedness
- Guide to avoid unintentional violations by operators
- Risk assessment report that is easily understood with clear corrective actions to prevent cyber issues
Key technologies & applications knowledge required
- Cyber security
- Gateways and Windows workstations
- Networking, including Ethernet and TCP/IP with its concept of ports and services
- Security policies
- Firewalls and antivirus protection
- Secure remote communication
The Startup Challenge Awards
- The winner of the challenge will be able to show and share the solution in a pilot or customer testcase.
- The winner will have the opportunity to access lab environments we jointly use with customers, allowing ABB customers to actively experience the solution and share their feedback.
- $30,000 for a collaboration with ABB Electrification to develop the solution.
- 6-month free SynerLeap membership, ABB’s startup accelerator, which will boost your growth and visibility across ABB, our partners, and customers (value $10,000).
- Exclusive mentoring sessions with Microsoft startup advisors.
Ready to shape future user experience together?
We invite you to Download the ABB application Powerpoint template for ABB Electrification’s Service Startup Challenge 2023!
Apply today or latest by February 21 – we evaluate the applications continuously
If you have any questions about your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org